Memorial Day always seems to be one of those holidays that sneaks up. If you're short on time, here's a quick menu to throw on the grill, plus our recipe for quick dairy-free Coca-Cola Rum Cupcakes - you can easily make them gluten-free too!
Be sure to check our Instagram
page for the details on winning a pair of our bestselling Bullet Cuff Links - the contest closes Monday at midnight.
--- M E N U ---
M A I N
- Make Ahead Burgers (Paprika is the secret ingredient to the tastiest burger seasoning.)
- Sourdough Buns (From the freshly-baked section of your grocery store.)
- Accoutrements (Our favorite combo is grilled onions, Provolone, Dijon mustard, a dab of Chipotle Mayo + the standard lettuce, tomato, and ketchup.)
S I D E S
- Baked Sweet Potatoes - on the grill!
- Simple Grilled Asparagus
- Garden Salad
- Fresh Fruit (i.e. watermelon season begins!)
D E S S E R T
Coca-Cola Rum Cupcakes (Dairy-free recipe below, with gluten-free option.)
-- COCA-COLA RUM CUPCAKES --
low fat + small batch + dairy free
1hr - makes 12 cupcakes
I N G R E D I E N T S
1c all-purpose flour (or gluten-free all-purpose)
1c sugar, white granulated
1/2 t baking soda
1 pinch salt
4T unsweetened cocoa powder, dark
1/2 c applesauce
1/2 c cola (I used Coca-Cola Life)
1/4c coconut milk, unsweetened (any milk or non-dairy milk works)
1t Rum Baking Emulsion (or 2t rum -or- vanilla extract)
TOPPING - 7oz jar Marshmallow Fluff
1/2c butter or dairy-free margarine
3T unsweetened cocoa powder, dark
2c confectioners sugar
GARNISH - Marashino or Fresh Cherries
D I R E C T I O N S
C A K E
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Line a 12-count cupcake pan -or- spray a 9x9 inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder in mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Add applesauce, cola, milk, egg, and rum emulsion or extract and mix on low until combined. Increase to med-high and mix for 1-2 minutes until smooth.
- Fill cupcake pans evenly to approximately 2/3 full -or- pour into prepared square baking pan.
- Bake for 22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
I C I N G
- Combine butter or margerine, cocoa powder, and cola in a saucepan and heat to boiling.
- Stir in confectioners sugar until smooth and dissolved.
- Allow to cool and thicken.
A S S E M B L Y
1. Once your cupcakes have cooled a little, poke holes in the centers and spoon some of the fudge icing on top.
2. Add a dollop of marshmallow fluff and spread out.
3. Drizzle with a little more fudge icing, and top with a cherry!
4. Enjoy right away! These are a little messy, so best served right after you make them. If you're making them ahead-of-time, we recommend the 9" cake version. Everything is the same, except the pan will contain all that yummy, gloopy icing.
Hope you're having a fun long weekend!
xo, Lord and Lady Co.