savor (v) - to taste and enjoy completely. // A weekly blog series from our kitchen, celebrating the simple pleasure of good food.
For when you feel a cold coming on.. ain't nobody got time for that! I drink one of these when I'm feeling under the weather and combined with a little extra sleep, I'm typically feeling good as new by morning! I also drank this every day after having surgery last year, and healed really quickly so I totally believe it contributed!
The con is that it kind of tastes like drinking salsa, but sometimes it's worth it. (I've developed a taste for it, so that could happen to you to.) I'll take you through the benefits of each ingredient so you can customize your juice based on what your body needs. <3
Anti-inflammatory + Liver detoxing + Vegan + Raw + Paleo + Gluten Free
Apple Cider Vinegar: promotes circulation + liver detoxing + clears sinuses + fights bacteria + lowers blood sugar and cholesterol + promotes weight loss.
Tomato juice: contains lycopene for healthy skin and reducing oxidative stress + helps lower cholesterol and triglycerides.
Lemon juice: liver detoxing + aids digestion + supports weight loss + balances pH + brings down fever.
Cayenne: anti-cold and flu + aids stomach health and digestion + boosts metabolism + anti-inflammatory + anti-allergen + anti-bacterial + anti-cancer properties + detoxing + pain reliever.
Turmeric: anti-inflammatory + anti-depressant + pain killing + anti-cancer properties + regulates blood sugar.
Garlic: anti-fungal + anti-inflammatory + boosts immune system.
Gelatin: supports hair/skin/nails + boosts metabolism + aids in digestion and IBS-related symptoms + speeds healing + supports adrenal function and hormone balance + anti-inflammatory.
Parsley: boosts immune system + flushes excess fluids to support kidney function + anti-cancer properties + aids digestion.
Leafy greens: rich in vitamins and antioxidants to support health in pretty much every area of your body!
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 2 tsp. sriracha (optional)
- juice of 1/2 lemon (or 1 T lemon juice from concentrate)
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 T gelatin (optional, makes recipe non-vegan)
- 1/2 cup parsley, fresh, torn (I prefer flat-leaf italian)
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 1 handful leafy greens (I use a spinach + baby kale blend)
1. This is where my blender tip comes in to save you extra time and clean-up! I blend directly into mason jars for all my juices and smoothies, so I can just grab my drink and hit the road.
You can remove the bottom of Oster blender styles and screw them onto plain ol' jars. I used a really large quart one this time, but you can fit everything into a pint size and just decrease the celery/cucumber amount a little bit.
2. Add all your ingredients to the jar (or blender) and add cool water until it's about 2/3 full of liquid. I usually add about a cup.
3. Blend for at least 2-3 minutes. It'll look red-orange at first, then as your parsley and leafy greens break down it'll turn a pretty...grass green. This makes it easier for your body to absorb all the phytonutrients from the spinach/kale/parsley.
4. Taste. Add more salt/siracha if you'd like, then enjoy! (Or drink really quickly and enjoy how much better you feel soon. <3)