savor (v) - to taste and enjoy completely. // A new weekly blog series from our kitchen, celebrating the simple pleasure of good food.
This recipe is also known as "what I eat for breakfast when I have no time" (or have to wake up at 4am for work..or for hiking...)
I'm one of those people who reads about nutrition on nights when I have insomnia (just because it fascinates me) and I've noticed a huge improvement in everything from my skin to my body composition to my mood when I make sure to have a 12-hour "fast" every day. It's a low-key way to do a daily detox that lets your digestive system rest and flushes out toxins. More on the benefits of that here, if you're into that sort of thing.
Not eating from 8pm to 8am is pretty easy for most people, but most of my days start at 4am (Translation: I'm the only Lord and Lady employee...and I work a second job). I need energy to fuel a workout and stabilize my blood sugar...and help me make it until at least 7am.
Enter: Vegan Bulletproof Coffee (because I'm actually lactose intolerant despite my penchant for real ice cream...)
- 8-12 oz. brewed coffee
- 1/2 T coconut oil
- 1/4 c almond milk, unsweetened (optional)
- 1 tsp. stevia (optional)
- 1 tsp. gelatin powder (optional, good for hair/skin/nails)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon (optional, good for blood sugar stabilization)
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract (optional, but delicious)
1. Brew your coffee in whatever method you prefer.
(Note: I use my Bialetti with extra dark espresso beans to make a strong and smooth brew. It kinda brews 6 shots of espresso...and I kinda drink all six at once. I do not exactly recommend this but I have a high caffeine tolerance...or just a high tolerance for things in general.)
2. Add all your ingredients to your blender. (If you have an Oster blender, you can actually attach the base of your blender to a mason jar and blend directly into a glass you can drink out of! This is what I always do to save time and clean-up, and have perfectly-portioned protein shakes after a work-out.)
3. Blend for about a minute. The coconut oil whips up nicely and gives your coffee the creaminess of a latte, complete with foam on top.
4. Pour into your cup and enjoy! A quick, easy, energizing pre-breakfast routine.